PICNIC is a program that has been created to support new parents feeding their infants and toddlers on the Mid North Coast. PICNIC is a peer education program. This means the PICNIC team provide nutrition/feeding training, information materials and support to parents who volunteer for the program. PICNIC volunteers can then pass on this information and provide feeding support to other parents within their social groups. The information that you and your mates need to feed your bub or toddler will be available when it’s most needed, in a way that is easy to understand.
Why PICNIC is important
- Do you know people who struggle feeding their little ones?
- Where the meal time has become a battle?
- Where parents have given up and their hopes of feeding bub the way they want has gone too?
This is really common! We see this all the time and it can be the biggest barrier to good nutrition for children. The good news is there are things we can do to help us feed children well. If these are done consistently from an early age it will ensure that we never have to go through these struggles.
PICNIC focuses on child feeding practices making it easier for parents to feed their children the way they want while providing guidance on nutrition. Parents who understand and practice appropriate feeding behaviour have infants and toddlers who grow up to eat a better quality diet, eat more variety, have a healthy relationship with food and eat towards their natural appetite, therefore eating the amount of food that’s right for them! This last point is really important with over 2/3 of adults overweight or obese due to overeating and not knowing fullness cues.
PICNIC can help your little ones feeding journey, making it healthier, happier and easier for you and your friends.
What would I do as a PICNIC parent?
PICNIC parents will learn the ins and outs of infant and child feeding, to demonstrate and pass this information on, assisting other parents in their feeding journey. We know new parents have a lot on their plate, so we’re mindful to not make the PICNIC parent role too time consuming. You will be involved with PICNIC for 12 months. Over this time you will be supported with all your bubs nutrition and feeding information needs by the PICNIC team of Accredited Practising dietitians and child feeding experts.
PICNIC parents will:
- Attend a 2-hour workshop on nutrition and feeding with the PICNIC professional team. We’ll discuss your feeding now and what to expect in the future. We’ll show you how to find all the information you need and link you up with the FACEBOOK closed group where you can access feeding messages, chatter and continuing education.
- Fill in a survey: PICNIC is based on a research project, so we need to show that PICNIC makes a difference. To do this we will need you to fill out a brief survey which only takes about 5 minutes.
- Get in touch with the PICNIC team when you or your friends need feeding help – our team are child feeding experts!
- Share feeding and nutrition information with family, carers and other parents over the next year and beyond (how this happens is up to you!)
- Enjoy the experience of your child learning to eat and appreciate a variety of foods.
If this sounds like something you would like to be a part of, click Join PICNIC below and join the team!